Re: Sample archive_command is still problematic - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Sample archive_command is still problematic
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:

> The above is regarding WAL file archiving -- I'm not putting down
> streaming replication.  Of course, what I would have *really* liked
> is a WAL receiver that could write out normal-looking WAL files for
> archiving purposes and pass through the WAL stream to a hot
> standby.  Last I checked (which was admittedly at least a couple
> years back) there was no such utility, although I seem to remember
> that Magnus had done some work that looked like it could be bent to
> that end.

I did. But I think that has mostly been superceded by replication
slots now. As in, if you use pg_receivexlog with a specific
replication slot, I believe you no longer need archive command at all,
do you? Since the replication slot will block rotation of the WAL
files until they are actually archived by pg_receivexlog (What my
command did was have an archive command that looked back into
pg_stat_replication to see if pg_receivexlog had received the data or
not).

It did not pass through any WAL stream though - you'd have your
standby connect directly to the same master that pg_receivexlog
connects to. What would be the actual reason for having that one do
the passthrough itself?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/