Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: proposal: option --application_name for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 14, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/5/14 Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl>:
>> On Tue, May 14, 2013 21:04, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> we like to use psql in combination with bash - just like postgresql driver.
>>>
>>> Actually there is no simple possibility (from command line) to set
>>> application_name. We would to use different name than psql - for
>>> example "splunk", ...
>>>
>>> I tested PGAPPNAME, but it doesn't work.
>>>

>> It does work:
>>
>> $ PGAPPNAME=splunk psql -c "select application_name from pg_stat_activity;"
>>  application_name
>> ------------------
>>  splunk
>> (1 row)
>>
>> But perhaps I misunderstood your intention?
>>

> I was wrong - PGAPPNAME works, thank you
>
> but command line --application_name option should be a useful option I
> am thinking still

That goes for a lot of the parameters that go in a connection string,
I'm not sure application_name is common enough to have it's own
argument if other parameters don't. And you can still set it as long
as you use psql in "connection string mode", as you can with all the
libpq parameters.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/