Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and encrypted files
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 3:42 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:

> It doesn't seem like it would require
> much work at all to construct an argument that a hacker might enjoy
> having unfettered access to pg_clog even if no other part of the
> database can be read.

The question isn't about what hackers would like to have access to, it's
about what would actually provide them with a channel to get information
that's sensitive, and at what rate.  Perhaps there's an argument to be
made that clog would provide a high enough rate of information that
could be used to glean sensitive information, but that's certainly not
an argument that's been put forth, instead it's the knee-jerk reaction
of "oh goodness, if anything isn't encrypted then hackers will be able
to get access to everything" and that's just not a real argument.

Huh. That is *exactly* the argument I made. Though granted the example was on multixact primarily, because I think that is much more likely to leak interesting information, but the basis certainly applies to all the metadata.