Re: connections and cpu consumption - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: connections and cpu consumption
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wednesday, November 9, 2011, Gauthier, Dave wrote:

Hi:

PG v4.8.3 on Linux

I'm using "selcet procpid,current_query from pg_stat_activity" to monitor activity during times when "top" is showing many PG procs with very high cpu usage numbers (all cores at or above 90%).  Some of these are procs that map to PG connections with current_query = <IDLE>.

What scenarios could explain a process identified as IDLE consuming lots of CPU?

More clues... In parallel with these was a user that was making a series of insert/delete/update commands that fire off triggers that generate more DML recursively.  Some of the idles are "<IDLE> in transaction".

My guess would be something running lots and lots of really short queries. top will give you an averate CPU usage over an interval, but pg_stat_activity shows a snapshot. So probably the sessions were running simple things, but just at the moment pg_stat_activity "hits", it wasn't doing anything.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/