Re: Russian translations - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Russian translations
Date
List pgsql-www

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Ivan E. Panchenko <i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
24.08.2016 12:04, Magnus Hagander пишет:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM, Ivan E. Panchenko <i.panchenko@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

23.08.2016 23:37, Stefan Kaltenbrunner пишет:

On 08/23/2016 10:12 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us
<mailto:bruce@momjian.us>> wrote:

     On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
     >     Presently, we want to restrict the commercial use of the Russian
     >     translation. It means that the text is not BSD-licensed, and cannot be
     >     freely included in any commercial products. Magnus, do you consider this
     >     acceptable in the sense of your comments?
     >
     >
     >
     > I don't have a problem with such restrictions, but I think it would be good to
     > clarify what it exactly means.
     >
     > For example, can a russian speaker use the documentation if he's giving
     > postgresql training? Does it make a difference if he prints the documentation
     > and uses it vs uses it online?

     Uh, I think we need to step back here.  First, anyone can add a more
     restrictive copyright to our docs, even in English, as long as they
     retain our copyright notice.

     Second, the website has been updated as requested.

     However, I don't know what a "commercial purposes" restriction means.
     It is vague for software use, and even vaguer for documentation.

     I understand Postgres Pro had to invest resources to do the translation,
     and understand their desire to restrict access.  However, I think we
     need to be clear on exactly what those restrictions are if we are going
     to keep a link from our website.

We are not. We are already linking, that part is taken care of. As a
general rule I think it'd be good if these things are clarified for
visitors there though, but that's independent of us linking to it.
fwiw - as the one who actually commited the change, I did consider the
fact that the linked to website looked a "tad" too commercial but we
link to commercial places all over the place on the website anyway.
In general I'm very glad we have russian translation of the docs and the
better we can make the linked-to page the happier I'm.

And actually, I think the web changes haven't been made.  We had an
example that looks great. Or is it that we should update the link to
point to the new suggested url (adding the postgresql suffix)? I sort of
lost track of that part, but that should be an easy fix if that's going
to be a permanent URL.

yeah that would be very good to know.
Please look at https://postgrespro.ru/docs/postgresql . This is the correct url for the russian docs translation.
We've made it much less commercial, and I hope now it satisties all the community requirements.

Hi!

Just to be clear -- should I change the link that's on www.postgresql.org to point to this new URL? Or is it a temporary one just used to show what it could look like?
Hi Magnus,

The URL is permanent, please change the link at www.postgresql.org .

Thanks! I've updated the site, it'll go live on the next refresh.