Re: psql show URL with help - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: psql show URL with help
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 10:48 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 09:57:25PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2019 at 7:14 PM David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 09:14:59AM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > > +                                     url = psprintf("
> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> > > +
> > strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") ? "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> > > +
> > QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >
> > Do we need to make sure that the docs are published under the major
> > version as soon as we get to alpha, or do we need something more like
> > this?
> >
> >     url = psprintf("https://www.postgresql.org/docs/%s/%s.html",
> >             (strstr(PG_VERSION, "devel") || strstr(PG_VERSION, "beta") ||
> >              strstr(PG_VERSION, "alpha")) : "devel" : PG_MAJORVERSION,
> >             QL_HELP[i].docbook_id);
> >

> We don't really release alphas any more. And we do load the documentation
> alongside the betas. (Last time we did an alpha was so long ago I don't
> remember if we loaded docs)

If the first thing we do when we move from devel to some other state
(beta, RC, etc.) is to publish the docs under the major version
number, then maybe this test should be more along the lines of looking
for anything that's neither devel nor a number, extract the number,
and use that.

Well, alpha versions do go under the numeric URL. Whether we load the docs at that time or not we can just choose -- but there is no reason not to. So yeah, that sounds like it would work better.