Re: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: New statistics for tuning WAL buffer size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 5:42 AM Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com> wrote:

On 2020/09/04 11:50, tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com wrote:
> From: Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@oss.nttdata.com>
>>> I changed the view name from pg_stat_walwrites to pg_stat_walwriter.
>>> I think it is better to match naming scheme with other views like
>> pg_stat_bgwriter,
>>> which is for bgwriter statistics but it has the statistics related to backend.
>>
>> I prefer the view name pg_stat_walwriter for the consistency with
>> other view names. But we also have pg_stat_wal_receiver. Which
>> makes me think that maybe pg_stat_wal_writer is better for
>> the consistency. Thought? IMO either of them works for me.
>> I'd like to hear more opinons about this.
>
> I think pg_stat_bgwriter is now a misnomer, because it contains the backends' activity.  Likewise, pg_stat_walwriter leads to misunderstanding because its information is not limited to WAL writer.
>
> How about simply pg_stat_wal?  In the future, we may want to include WAL reads in this view, e.g. reading undo logs in zheap.

Sounds reasonable.

+1.

pg_stat_bgwriter has had the "wrong name" for quite some time now -- it became even more apparent when the checkpointer was split out to it's own process, and that's not exactly a recent change. And it had allocs in it from day one...

I think naming it for what the data in it is ("wal") rather than which process deals with it ("walwriter") is correct, unless the statistics can be known to only *ever* affect one type of process. (And then different processes can affect different columns in the view). As a general rule -- and that's from what I can tell exactly what's being proposed.