Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1's pg_upgrade fails on Windows XP - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.2 beta1's pg_upgrade fails on Windows XP
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Edmund Horner <ejrh00@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 May 2012 18:49, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
>> When you shut down the 9.1.3 cluster did you make absolutely certain the=
re
>> were no postgres.exe processes lurking around when you tested? Given the
>> incredible thouroughness of your report I imagine you did, but it's worth
>> checking, as a lingering `postgres.exe' could (I imagine) cause such an
>> issue. Not that it should ever happen.
>
> Yes, I ensured there were no postgres.exe processes running before
> running up_upgrade. =A0On a related note, postgres.exe processes DO
> remaining running after pg_upgrade fails with this error. =A0Not sure if
> they're from the old or new binaries. =A0I generally terminate them and
> recreate the destination cluster between retries. =A0Additionally, the
> old cluster needs to be cycled: start it, and then stop it; because
> the next pg_upgrade run thinks a postgres.exe could still be using it.
> =A0pg_ctl start also prints a warning about this but starts anyway.
>
>> Do you have the option of re-trying with your AV disabled or removed?
>
> At work I can't tamper with the AV, but I can run pg_upgrade in a
> directory that is excluded from AV (the c:\ccviews directory used by
> Clearcase!).
>
> The log files are created there, and there is no AV activity on them
> according to Filemon. =A0There is still a SHARING VIOLATION on
> pg_upgrade_utility.log, though:

This certainly looks like both pg_ctl and whatever is running under
cmd are both accessing the same logfile. This won't work. We can make
pg_ctl open it in sharing mode, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing
we can do about CMD - I assume that's coming from a shell redirect
somewhere?

> 142 =A0 =A0 3:47:47 p.m. =A0 =A0pg_ctl.exe:98832 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0WRITE
> =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0C:\ccviews\pg_upgrade_utility.log =A0 =A0 =A0 SUCCESS Offs=
et: 396 Length: 16
> 183 =A0 =A0 3:48:01 p.m. =A0 =A0cmd.exe:99396 =A0 OPEN =A0 =A0C:\ccviews\=
pg_upgrade_utility.log =A0 =A0 =A0 SHARING
> VIOLATION =A0 =A0 =A0 Options: Open =A0Access: 0012019F

We probably need to send these to different logfiles. Bruce?

--=20
=A0Magnus Hagander
=A0Me: http://www.hagander.net/
=A0Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/