Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter van Hardenberg
Subject Re: Patch: Implement failover on libpq connect level.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:25 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 10/14/15 6:41 AM, Victor Wagner wrote:
All in all, I'm still feeling pretty good about trying to support the
same syntax that our JDBC driver already does.  It's certainly not a
perfect solution, but it is at least compatible with MySQL's JDBC
driver and with MongoDB, and in a world where everybody has picked a
different approach that's not too bad.  Hey, maybe if we use the same
syntax as MongoDB they'll let us hang out with the cool kids...

They will never let us hang out with the cool kids. Don't worry though, the cool kids are too busy figuring out why their cluster is out of consensus to pay attention to much else.

Supporting different ports on different servers would be a much appreciated feature (I can't remember if it was Kafka or Cassandra that didn't do this and it was very annoying.)

Remember, as the connection string gets more complicated, psql supports the Postgres URL format as a single command-line argument and we may want to begin encouraging people to use that syntax instead.