Re: pg_xlogdump --stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marti Raudsepp
Subject Re: pg_xlogdump --stats
Date
Re: pg_xlogdump --stats  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 11:13 PM, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> In CF terms, did you form any opinion while porting the patch I posted
> about whether it's sensible/ready for inclusion in 9.5?

I didn't look at the code more than necessary to make the build work.

As far as functionality goes, it does exactly what I needed it to do;
the output is very clear. I wanted to see how much WAL is being
generated from SELECT FOR UPDATE locks.

Here are some thoughts:

The "FPI" acronym made me wonder at first. Perhaps "Full page image
size" would be clearer (exactly 20 characters long, so it fits).

But on the other hand, I find that the table is too wide, I always
need to stretch my terminal window to fit it. I don't think we need to
accommodate for 10^20 bytes ~ 87 exabytes of WAL files. :)

You might also add units (kB/MB) to the table like pg_size_pretty,
although that would make the magnitudes harder to gauge.

> P.S. In your patch, the documentation changes are duplicated.

Oh right you are, I don't know how that happened. I also missed some
record types (Btree/0x80, Btree/0xb0).

Regards,
Marti