Re: How to observe plan_cache_mode transition from custom to generic plan? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Michael
Subject Re: How to observe plan_cache_mode transition from custom to generic plan?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 6:02 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Richard Michael <rmichael@edgeofthenet.org> writes:
> After reading Laurenz's reply, I experimented again with `PREPARE
> basic(int) AS SELECT $1 AS number;" and the query plan logged in the log
> file (by auto_explain) does indeed show "Output: $1" on the sixth EXPLAIN
> EXECUTE!  Sorry I missed this earlier.  (The EXPLAIN EXECUTE output itself
> does not contain an "Output:" line, so I didn't notice this lack of
> parameter substitution in psql.)

I think EXPLAIN VERBOSE would add that bit of detail.

Indeed it does!  I literally just now experimented with this and was returning to the ML reply to myself to avoid wasting more of anyone's time.

Would a tiny patch to the PREPARE docs be accepted?  I'd like to help clarify investigating `plan_cache_mode` for future readers.

Thanks for replying, regards,
Richard

                        regards, tom lane