Too many range table entries error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Akshaya Acharya
Subject Too many range table entries error
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello.

Please could you help debug the error "too many range table entries”?

This error occurs when querying a view that is dependent on many other views (i.e. a view high up in the pyramid of views that we've constructed).

I get this error when running select * on the view, or when running an explain analyse on the select.

Views that use a total of more than around 40000 table references (in the complete tree considering all the dependent views recursively) don't work, but it works with 20000 table references. What is the maximum number of table references possible?

Can I increase this number somehow?

Perhaps relevant:

Postgres docs, what is range table https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/querytree.html

postgres src, error message https://github.com/postgres/postgres/blob/master/src/backend/optimizer/plan/setrefs.c

Postgres version 10.3 from official docker image.

Thanks

Akshaya