Re: Heap WARM Tuples - Design Draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Heap WARM Tuples - Design Draft
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 12:06 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM, Pavan Deolasee <pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Some heuristics and limits on amount of work done to detect duplicate index
> entries will help too.

I think I prefer a more thorough approach.

Increment/decrement may get very complicated with custom opclasses,
for instance. A column-change bitmap won't know how to handle
funcional indexes, etc.

What I intend to try, is modify btree to allow efficient search of a
key-ctid pair, by adding the ctid to the sort order.

Yes, that's a good medium term plan. And this is kind of independent from the core idea. So I'll go ahead and write a patch that implements the core idea and some basic optimizations. We can then try different approaches such as tracking changed columns, tracking increment/decrement and teaching btree to skip duplicate (key, CTID) entries.

Thanks,
Pavan