Re: Add a filed to PageHeaderData - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Add a filed to PageHeaderData
Date
Re: Add a filed to PageHeaderData  (Soroosh Sardari <soroosh.sardari@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:

> Soroosh Sardari <soroosh.sardari@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I check this problem with a virgin source code of
> > postgresql-9.3.2. So the bug is not for my codes.
>
> > By the way, following code has two different output and it is
> > weird.
>
> I can confirm that I see the difference in 9.3.2, and that I don't
> see the difference in 9.3.4.  Upgrade.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning/
>
> There's really no point in reporting a possible bug on a version
> with known bugs which have already had fixes published.

FWIW I can reproduce this on HEAD with the attached patch. I could reproduce this on a 64-bit Ubuntu as well as 64-bit Mac OSX. Very confusing it is because I tried with various values for N in char[N] array and it fails for N=20. Other values I tried are 4, 12, 22, 24 and the test passes for all of them. The logic for trying other values is to see if pd_linp[] starting on un-aligned boundary can trigger the issue. But there seem to be no correlation.

postgres=# select version();

PostgreSQL 9.5devel on x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0, compiled by Apple LLVM version 5.1 (clang-503.0.38) (based on LLVM 3.4svn), 64-bit

postgres=# -- test SP-GiST index that's been built incrementally

postgres=# create table test_range_spgist(ir int4range);
postgres=# create index test_range_spgist_idx on test_range_spgist using spgist (ir);
postgres=# insert into test_range_spgist select int4range(g, g+10) from generate_series(1,586) g;
INSERT 0 586

postgres=# SET enable_seqscan    = t;
postgres=# SET enable_indexscan  = f;
postgres=# SET enable_bitmapscan = f;

postgres=# select * from test_range_spgist where ir -|- int4range(100,500);
    ir
-----------
[90,100)
[500,510)
(2 rows)

postgres=# SET enable_seqscan    = f;
postgres=# select * from test_range_spgist where ir -|- int4range(100,500);
    ir
-----------
 [90,100)
 [500,510)
(2 rows)

At this point, both rows are visible via index scan as well as seq scan.

postgres=# insert into test_range_spgist select int4range(g, g+10) from generate_series(587,587) g;
INSERT 0 1

postgres=# select * from test_range_spgist where ir -|- int4range(100,500);
    ir
----------
 [90,100)
(1 row)

Ouch. The second row somehow disappeared.

postgres=# SET enable_seqscan    = t;
postgres=# select * from test_range_spgist where ir -|- int4range(100,500);
    ir
 [90,100)
 [500,510)
(2 rows)

So the last INSERT suddenly makes one row disappear via the index scan though its still reachable via seq scan. I tried looking at the SP-Gist code but clearly I don't understand it a whole lot to figure out the issue, if one exists.

Thanks,
Pavan
Attachment