Status of the startup process post end of recovery - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Status of the startup process post end of recovery
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hello,

While doing some tests, I observed that the "ps" command continues to
display status of the startup process as "recovering <filename>" even
though it has finished the redo and is now performing end-of-recovery
checkpoint. This checkpoint can take a while, a few seconds to a few
minutes depending on the dirty buffers at the end of the recovery. The
"ps" command keep displaying a stale status for all that time. How
about calling set_ps_display() with appropriate status string, say
similar to what is logged by LogCheckpointStart() ? If we do that,
what would be the best place to add that code ? I was thinking adding
that to CreateCheckpoint() itself so that the status is displayed at
all relevant places.

Comments ?

Thanks,
Pavan