Re: Add a filed to PageHeaderData - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Add a filed to PageHeaderData
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 2:28 PM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Soroosh Sardari
<soroosh.sardari@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there any rule for adding a field to PageHeaderData?

Not really. It's a pretty internal thing, not something we expect
people to be doing all the time.

The only rule I can think of is that you should bump some version
numbers such as the page format version and probably the catalog
version. But that's probably irrelevant to your problem. It sounds
like you have a bug in your code but you haven't posted enough
information to say much more.

Out of curiosity, I actually tried adding a char[20] field in the page header because just like you I thought this should be completely internal, as long as the field is added before the pd_linp[] field. But I get the same failure that OP is reporting. I wonder if its a bug in gist index build, though I could not spot anything at the first glance. FWIW changing the char[] from 20 to 22 or 24 does not cause any failure in rangetypes test. So I am thinking its some alignment issue (mine is a 64 bit build)

Thanks,
Pavan
--
Pavan Deolasee