Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Patch for fail-back without fresh backup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Sawada Masahiko <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for comment. I think it is good simple idea.
In your opinion, if synchronous_transfer is set 'all' and
synchronous_commit is set 'on',
the master wait for data flush eve if user sets synchronous_commit to
'local' or 'off'.
For example, when user want to do transaction early, user can't do this.
we leave the such situation as constraint?

No, user can still override the transaction commit point wait. So if

synchronous_transfer is set to "all":
 - If synchronous_commit is ON - wait at all points
 - If synchronous_commit is OFF - wait only at buffer flush (and other related to failback safety) points

synchronous_transfer is set to "data_flush":
 - If synchronous_commit is either ON o OFF - do not wait at commit points, but wait at all other points

synchronous_transfer is set to "commit":
 - If synchronous_commit is ON - wait at commit point
 - If synchronous_commit is OFF - do not wait at any point

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee