Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi All,

While looking at the help message of pg_basebackup, I got a bit confused by it. It looks something like this:

Connection options:
  -d, --dbname=CONNSTR   connection string

So the long option says "--dbname" which is not really what its expecting. The same issue also applies to pg_receivexlog and pg_dumpall. I wonder if this is a well thought out user API or just an oversight when we chose to use "-d" to pass connection string to the command, In fact, I would have avoided using either -d or --dbname because they are used very frequently in other commands to mean something else.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee