Re: Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Confusing long option in pg_receivexlog/basebackup/dumpall
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:24 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:

In other tools too, like psql, you can pass a connection string with -d/--dbname, which is why I thought it would be best to use the same option for passing a connection string to pg_basebackup/pg_dumpall too.

Ah Ok. I was not aware that you can also pass a connection string to psql with -d option. That way it looks consistent though still confusing.

See discussion at http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/512520FE.6050701@vmware.com. If you have any better ideas, I'm all ears...

No, I don't have better ideas. I was worried that it was an oversight. But now I know it was chosen this way after a careful consideration.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee