Re: Feature Proposal: Connection Pool Optimization - Change the Connection User - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Todd Hubers
Subject Re: Feature Proposal: Connection Pool Optimization - Change the Connection User
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Everyone,

Benchmarking work has commenced, and is ongoing.
  • OPTIONS 5/6/7 - `SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION` takes double the time of a single separate SimpleQuery. This is to be expected, because double the amount of SimpleQuery messages are being sent, and that requires a full SimpleQuery/Result/Ready cycle. If there is significant latency between a Connection Pooler and the database, this delay is amplified. It would be possible to concatenate text into a single SimpleQuery. In the real world, the performance impact MAY be negligible.
  • OPTION 0 - The time to reconnect (start a new connection from scratch with a different username/password) was found to be faster than using `SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION`.
  • OPTION 1 - My team is continuing to explore a distinct Impersonate message (Option-1). We are completing a prototype-quality implementation, and then benchmarking it. Given that Option-1 is asynchronous (Request and expect to succeed) and it can even be included within the same TCP packet as the SimpleQuery (at times), we expect the performance will be better than restarting a connection, and not impacted by links of higher latency.
I will be recording benchmark results in the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u6mVKEHfKtR80UrMLNYrp5D6cCSW1_arcTaZ9HcAKlw/edit# after completion of the OPTION-1 prototype and benchmarking of that prototype.

Note: In order to accommodate something like OPTION-8, an Impersonation message might have a flag (valid for 1x SimpleQuery only, then automatically restore back to the last user).

Regards,

Todd