Commit hits time-out before CommandTimeout - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben Schalley
Subject Commit hits time-out before CommandTimeout
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello,

I'm not sure if it is a Npgsql or a PostgreSQL issue which we run into at the office. I have also posted this on the Npgsql forum (see http://pgfoundry.org/forum/forum.php?thread_id=11381&forum_id=519).

For a project we have a windows service which synchronizes an online database from a supplier with a local database of a client. The queries against the local database are executed within a transaction block. At the end of the sync procedure we execute a commit on the transaction. This commit can take a few minutes to finish so we set the CommandTimeout high enough, and this works.

However for one client we have set the CommandTimout to 3600 seconds (1 hour) but the commit hits a timeout each time after 1410 seconds (23 minutes and 30 seconds).

What can be causing this "premature" timeout?

The version of PostgreSQL used is 8.2.9 and the version of Npgsql is 2.0.11

Thanx in advance for the help!

Ben