Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jon Theil Nielsen
Subject Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date
Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
List pgsql-novice
> First, it started to complain about the role "root" did not
> exist. I don't think I have created anything that should refer to
> "root". Even though it's a potentially dangerous thing to do, I
> created the role. After that, the error message was that the
> "root" database did not exist. So I just created an empty
> database called "root". Then the server complained about loosing
> connection to a client.

To maximize your chances of getting suggestions which are most
helpful, it is better to copy and paste the specific error messages
with details about what led up to each error.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Sure, I know that. It's a bit difficult though since a have used some commands that I can't really find in the history. But I'll give it a try.

First error message:
"postgres[15928]: [29993-1] FATAL:  role "root" does not exist"

Created user "root" with a command like "createuser -sdrP root" (not absolutely sure).

After restart, I got the error message:
"FATAL:  database "root" does not exist"

Then, from the webmin interface, I created an empty database called "root" owned by user "root" using no template.

After restart, I now got the error message:
"FATAL:  connection to client lost".

I don't know if this information is of any use in this context. Of course I can provide the content of some of my configuration files. I just don't know what to look for.

Regards,
Jon