Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jon Theil Nielsen
Subject Re: Several problems with installation on FreeBSD - how to reinstall without loosing data
Date
List pgsql-novice
> First error message:
> "postgres[15928]: [29993-1] FATAL:  role "root" does not exist"
>
> Created user "root" with a command like "createuser -sdrP root" (not absolutely sure).
>
> After restart, I got the error message:
> "FATAL:  database "root" does not exist"
>
> Then, from the webmin interface, I created an empty database called "root" owned by user "root" using
> no template.

That looks like you are OS user "root" and type "psql" on the command line.
By default PostgreSQL will try to use the OS user name for database user and
database.

A wild guess: could it be that you mean to call "psql"
as OS user "pgsql" and not as "root"?

> After restart, I now got the error message:
> "FATAL:  connection to client lost".

Ok, that seems to be a different problem.

Are there any odd things in the database log?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

Thanks for your answer!

As stated earlier, I am a true novice when it comes to postgresql. So it is not very often I run anything manually from a prompt. The server itself start at boot time and run as the correct user. I think I always use "su pgsql" if I want to do something from the prompt.

I am not sure if there is any clues in the log. And I am not sure if I have the optimal log settings. But I will have a look and report back.

Regards, Jon