Re: Restoring PostgreSQL Database Backup - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Muhammad Rizwan Anwar
Subject Re: Restoring PostgreSQL Database Backup
Date
List pgadmin-support
Dear,

Thank you for quick responce.

I am new in database so I just can use graphic interface to do thing. I dont know how 8.4 pg_restore can be run. If posible please guide me step by step instructions to solve my proble.

I am using PostgreSQL and PgAdmin for Adempiere (ERP), if I update PostgreSQL 8.3 to 8.4 wheather it will support my software without major changes and problems or not?

Kindly suggest me the best possible soution.

Best Regards,

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 02/07/2014 12:23 PM, Muhammad Rizwan Anwar wrote:
> Respected,
>
> I am using the following version of PgAdmin and PostgreSQL
>
> PgAdmin Version: 1.8.4 (June 4 2008, rev:7358)
> PostgreSQL: 8.3.13
>
> Problem: I have a data base backup file created in PosgtreSQL 8.4.14,
> when I restore it in PostgreSQL: 8.3.13 on a database (by using
> pgadmin-iii, right click on the data base to restore file) it shows the
> following error:
>
> D:\PostgreSQL\8.3\bin\pg_restore.exe -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres -d
> aflprod -v "E:\backup af 20140201.backup"
> pg_restore: [archiver] unsupported version (1.11) in file header
>
> Process returned exit code 1.
>
> I need help how to handle this issue.

In general, restoring backups from newer PostgreSQL major releases onto
older versions is unreliable, and can be difficult. If possible, just
upgrade the 8.3 machine to 8.4 (or some less prehistoric release) instead.

You will need to use the 8.4 version of `pg_restore` to connect to the
9.3 database and restore the data.

The easiest way to do this is likely to be to use the command line to
invoke the 8.4 version of pg_restore directly.

Alternately, you can run the 8.4 pg_restore without a database name to
convert the custom-format dump to a plain SQL script. Then you can use
psql to apply that script to the 8.3 machine.

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Muhammad Rizwan Anwar
Contact at: