Re: Hourly backup using pg_basebackup - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Mathis, Jason
Subject Re: Hourly backup using pg_basebackup
Date
List pgsql-admin
Why can't you stream?

Did you read "The connection must be made with a superuser or a user having REPLICATION permissions (see Section 20.2), and pg_hba.conf must explicitly permit the replication connection. The server must also be configured with max_wal_senders set high enough to leave at least one session available for the backup."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgbasebackup.html

Also why not do one basebackup and setup archiving through the day? You can do a incremental in the middle of the day (if you really wanted to), may make the recovery a bit shorter. Or you can setup a streaming slave and stop postgres and tar/compress the data dir there. Although watch the wal_keep_segments there as well or set an restore_command if you are archiving.