Re: SQLJSON - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Vladimir Sitnikov
Subject Re: SQLJSON
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
>For what it's worth, I think bundling the JSONP API with the driver is a bad idea

+1

>To be clear I'm totally fine with a Maven dependency on whatever JSR spec jar is needed,

+1.  Probably provided/optional maven scopes could help to isolate
driver's part that implements "json support".

Regarding "getObject", the expected java.lang.Class is provided either
via "Connection.getTypeMap" or explicitly (like in
java.sql.ResultSet#getObject(int, java.lang.Class<T>)).
In other words:
1) If current driver returns String and "after json improvement" it
would start to return JsonValue, then it is likely a
backward-incompatible change. If we go for it, we would probably need
a setting to enable backward-compatible mode (e.g.
"return_string_for_json")
2) getObject(index, JsonValue.class) is somewhat reasonable API to
fetch JsonValue out of a ResultSet. I think it is fine if that
particular call would succeed only if "pgjdbc-json-support.jar" is
added to the list of dependencies (e.g. classpath).

>I just don't want that crap in my Maven build,

+1

>I would not be opposed to having "Driver rollup" bundles like a "jdbc + jsonp-spec + jsonp-ri" jar.

I would :)

Vladimir