Security Issues: Allowing Clients to Execute SQL in the Backend. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hello World
Subject Security Issues: Allowing Clients to Execute SQL in the Backend.
Date
Re: Security Issues: Allowing Clients to Execute SQL in the Backend.  (Rory Campbell-Lange <rory@campbell-lange.net>)
Re: Security Issues: Allowing Clients to Execute SQL in the Backend.  (Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello!

I'm developing a web application that needs to display data from a postgres backend.

The most convenient way for the app to get the data is by expressing the request in SQL.

I'm thinking about the following architecture

[ App/Client ] -----> query in SQL ---> [Web server] ---> same SQL query --> [PG database]

I would simply use the roles/permssion system inside Postgres to determine what users
can  do and cannot do. Clients have to authenticate as one of the roles (not superusers) defined in the database.

Given this are there any security other issues about letting client applications execute arbitrary SQL commands on the backend database?

Thanks.