Re: Function tracking - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: Function tracking
Date
List pgsql-general
2013/6/7 Rebecca Clarke <r.clarke83@gmail.com>:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to track the updates to a
> function.
>
> We have two databases, Dev & Live, so I want to update Live with just the
> functions that have been modified in the DEV databas3e.
> Is there another, easier way to track the updates than manually recording it
> in a document? (I'm trying to eliminate human interference).

You might want to take a look at Sqitch ( http://sqitch.org/ ), which
is a little
complex to set up, but works along similar lines to GIT.

As others have said, you definitely need to use some kind of source control
to track changes. With the systems I've managed, I've ensured that releases
are tagged in the source control system with a release number, and that
database script files exist for each release (if needed) which are applied
when the release is rolled out to the respective environment. It's still a bit
of a manual process and requires a bit of (self) discipline, but has worked
quite well for me.

Regards

Ian Barwick