Re: How can I detect if a schema exists? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: How can I detect if a schema exists?
Date
List pgsql-general
2013/1/10 <felix@crowfix.com>
I was reviving an old test program which hasn't been used since 9.1 and found that "SET search_path = xyzzy" no longer fails if the schema "xyzzy" doesn't exist.

Is there an approved or recommended way to tell if a schema exists?  I can think of lots of ways, but none as easy as the 9.1 search_path.  I suppose I shouldn't rely on undocumented features ...

How about:

  SELECT TRUE FROM information_schema.schemata WHERE schema_name = 'xyzzy'

? (Though I notice this table only seems to show the schemas owned by the user if the user is not a superuser).

Ian Lawrence Barwick