Re: Q: regarding backends - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: Q: regarding backends
Date
List pgsql-general
2013/12/10 Stephan Fabel <sfabel@hawaii.edu>:
> Hi all,
>
> and sorry if I'm asking a question that has been answered before; has the
> PostgreSQL community ever considered different key/value backends (sort of like
> MySQL with its many different options)?
>
> We'd be very interested in seeing the effects of integrating LMDB [*] in terms
> of performance gains. Has this avenue been explored before?

There was talk of pluggable storage at this year's PGCon (PGUncon?):

  https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/2013UnconfPluggableStorage

but even if the idea gains traction, it's not going to arrive any time soon.

As Kevin mentions, FDWs might provide a good alternative. An example
with key/value stores I've been citing recently is this one:

  http://blog.cloudflare.com/kyoto_tycoon_with_postgresql

Regards

Ian Barwick