Re: pgAdmin shows two servers with the identical data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: pgAdmin shows two servers with the identical data
Date
List pgsql-general
013/4/28 Bob Futrelle <bob.futrelle@gmail.com>:
> I have two PG servers with the same data.
>
> I know the data is the same, because if I change a value in a table
> on one server, it changes the value in a table with the same
> name in the other server.
>
> in pgAdmin III:
>
> Properties for server Local (localhost:5432):
>
> Name: Local
> Host: localhost
> Port: 5432
> Maintenance DB: postgres
> UserName: robertfutrelle
>

> Properties for server Local(local:.s.PGSQL.55432)
>
> Name: Local
> Host:
> Port: 5432
> Maintenance DB: postgres
> UserName: robertfutrelle
>
> The second one is odd - no Host is listed.
>
> What is going on?
>
> Since they appear to be identical in most all respects, would be nice
> to remove one of them. Is that safe? If so, which?

They are one and the same database, accessed via different methods:
TCP/IP in the first case, Unix-domain sockets in the second case (hence
the lack of host). Nothing to worry about, and you only have one copy
of the database.

Though it's for the command line client psql, the same principles described
here apply:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/app-psql.html#R2-APP-PSQL-CONNECTING

Regards

Ian Barwick