Re: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: using psql 11.4 with a server 13.0 && meta commands
Date
List pgsql-general
2020年10月21日(水) 20:54 Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>:

> Hello,
>
> I've found the following problem using psql 11.4 against a server 13.0:
>
> $ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> $ psql -Usisis -dsisis
> psql (11.4, server 13.0)
> WARNING: psql major version 11, server major version 13.
>          Some psql features might not work.
> Type "help" for help.
>
> sisis=# \d dbctest
> FEHLER:  Spalte c.relhasoids existiert nicht
> LINE 1: ...riggers, c.relrowsecurity, c.relforcerowsecurity, c.relhasoi...
>                                                              ^
> sisis=#
>
> Is this expected? Are there other bigger issues with commands. I see the
> message "Some psql features might not work.", but that this affects also
> "normal" commands of daily use...

Yes, this is fully expected - the system catalogue may change between
server versions, and
hence the SQL needed for the meta-commands. Any psql version should be
backwards-
compatible with older server versions, but older psql versions cannot
of course know what
SQL might needed for newer server versions. Hence the warning.

Regards

Ian Barwick
--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com