Re: is the base backup protocol used by out-of-core tools? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: is the base backup protocol used by out-of-core tools?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
2022年2月9日(水) 11:21 Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>:

> On Tue, Feb 08, 2022 at 11:26:41AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > From that point of view, there's no downside to removing from the
> > server the old syntax for BASE_BACKUP and the old protocol for taking
> > backups. We can't remove anything from pg_basebackup, because it is
> > our practice to make new versions of pg_basebackup work with old
> > versions of the server. But the reverse is not true: an older
> > pg_basebackup will categorically refuse to work with a newer server
> > version. Therefore keeping the code for this stuff around in the
> > server has no value ... unless there is out-of-core code that (a) uses
> > the BASE_BACKUP command and (b) wouldn't immediately adopt the new
> > syntax and protocol anyway. If there is, we might want to keep the
> > backward-compatibility code around in the server for a few releases.
> > If not, we should probably nuke that code to simplify things and
> > reduce the maintenance burden.
>
> This line of arguments looks sensible from here, so +1 for this
> cleanup in the backend as of 15~.  I am not sure if we should worry
> about out-of-core tools that use replication commands, either, and the
> new grammar is easy to adapt to.

FWIW the out-of-core utility I have some involvement in and which uses base
backup functionality, uses this by executing pg_basebackup, so no problem
there. But even if it used the replication protocol directly, it'd
just be a case of
adding another bit of Pg version-specific code handling; I certainly wouldn't
expect core to hold itself back for my convenience.

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
EnterpriseDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com