Re: BUG #11638: Transaction safety fails when constraints are dropped and analyze is done - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: BUG #11638: Transaction safety fails when constraints are dropped and analyze is done
Date
List pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
I'm not sure which danger you're seeing here. Imo we need to choose
between heap_inplace/heap_update for VACUUM/ANALYZE because one is
allowed to run in a transaction, and the other is not. It simply *can't*
be safe for ANALYZE to set things like relhastriggers = false using
heap_inplace().
There's problems with both it rolling back and thus undoing the action
that allowed relhastriggers = false to be set and scenarios where it's
not ok that other backends can see that value before the transaction
committed.
Hm, I was wondering about the potential effects of VACUUM FULL or VACUUM ANALYZE, but as they cannot run in a tx block... Btw, I have just put my hands on this code and made the attached to make vac_update_relstats able to do a transactional update. It looks to work fine with only a check on the flags of vacuum statement.
Regards,
--
Michael
Attachment