Re: PGXS "check" target forcing an install ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: PGXS "check" target forcing an install ?
Date
Re: PGXS "check" target forcing an install ?  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 12:11 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk@keybit.net> wrote:
> I've noted that upgrading from PostgreSQL 9.3 to 9.5 I'm suddenly
> unable to specify a "check" rule in the Makefile that includes the
> PGXS one. The error is:
>
>  $ make check
>  rm -rf ''/tmp_install
>  make -C '/home/postgresql-9.5/lib/pgxs/src/makefiles/../..' DESTDIR=''/tmp_install install
>  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/postgresql-9.5/lib/pgxs'
>  make[1]: *** No rule to make target `install'.  Stop.
>  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/postgresql-9.5/lib/pgxs'
>  make: *** [temp-install] Error 2
>
> I tracked the dangerous -rf to come from Makefile.global and it's empty
> string being due to abs_top_builddir not being define in my own Makefile.
> But beside that, which I can probably fix, it doesn't sound correct
> that a "check" rule insists in finding an "install" rule.

Oops, this is a regression, and a dangerous one indeed. This is caused
by dcae5fac.

One fix is to use NO_TEMP_INSTALL=yes in Makefile.global in the
context of PGXS, like in the patch attached, this variable needing to
be set before Makefile.global is loaded. We could as well use directly
PGXS in the section "Testing", but that does not sound appealing for
Makefile.global's readability.

> I'm also
> surprised that there's no warning coming out from the "make" invocation
> given I'm defining a "check" rule myself (after inclusion).

Why? It looks perfectly normal to me to be able to define your own
check rule. That's more flexible this way.

Thoughts?
--
Michael

Attachment