Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Package version in PG_VERSION and version()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 7:46 PM, Christoph Berg
<christoph.berg@credativ.de> wrote:
> To be able to identify more easily which package a connected server is
> coming from, I would like to embed the (Debian) package version in the
> version() output which is coming from PG_VERSION. It is fairly easy to
> do that, but it requires patching configure(.in):

Why reinventing the wheel when there is already --with-extra-version
that you can use for the same purpose? And I think that I can see a
bug here on HEAD, src/tools/msvc/Solution.pm correctly uses
--with-extra-version in PG_VERSION_STR but ./configure is forgetting
it. If you want to push for this proposal anyway, I think that you
should update the msvc scripts as well.
--
Michael