Re: Memory leak with XLogFileCopy since de768844 (WAL file with .partial) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Memory leak with XLogFileCopy since de768844 (WAL file with .partial)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Michael Paquier
<michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
> Since commit de768844, XLogFileCopy of xlog.c returns to caller a
> pstrdup'd string that can be used afterwards for other things.
> XLogFileCopy is used in only one place, and it happens that the result
> string is never freed at all, leaking memory.
> Attached is a patch to fix the problem.

Having a second look at that, XLogFileCopy() is called only in one
place, and dstfname is never used, hence I think that it would make
sense to return unconditionally a temporary file name to the caller.
Also the current error message in case of failure is very C-like:
elog(ERROR, "InstallXLogFileSegment should not have failed");
I thought that we to use function names in the error messages.
Wouldn't something like that be more adapted?
"could not copy partial log file" or ""could not copy partial log file
into temporary segment file"
Attached is a new patch.

Regards,
--