Re: Replication: GZIP compression in WAL sender/receiver processes communication? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Replication: GZIP compression in WAL sender/receiver processes communication?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM, Dmitry Koterov <dmitry@koterov.ru> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there a way to compress the traffic between master and slave during the
> replication?.. The streaming gzip would be quite efficient for that.
>
> (WAL archiving is not too good for this purpose because of high lag. I just
> need to minimize the cross-datacenter traffic keeping the replication lag
> low.)
Not directly AFAIK, but this would be a good argument for the
implementation of hooks in walsender and walreceiver that could allow
to use such customization of the stream sent and received.

Note that there is also a patch pending for 9.4 that would make
possible the compression of full page writes, reducing globally the
amount of WAL produced by server in exchange of some CPU work to
compress and decompress the data.
--
Michael