Re: pg_rewind exiting with error code 1 when source and target are on the same timeline - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: pg_rewind exiting with error code 1 when source and target are on the same timeline
Date
Re: pg_rewind exiting with error code 1 when source and target are on the same timeline  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 4:08 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> On 10/20/15 9:31 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> I have been pinged internally by a user by the fact that pg_rewind
>> returns 1 as exit code if the target and source nodes are on the same
>> timeline.
>
> I agree that that should not be an error.
> But I think in that case we should just delete that check and have the
> subsequent checks end up at the existing "no rewind required" result.

I am not sure that I am not getting completely your point, why would
it be a win to remove this safety check? We surely do not want to look
for the common ancestor timeline if the target and source nodes have
the same timeline, so we should not remove this check and just set
rewind_needed to false to fallback to the same exit(0) for all those
code paths. Per se the attached for example.
--
Michael

Attachment