Re: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re:
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, May 15, 2015 at 8:54 PM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina.rakotomandimby@rktmb.org> wrote:
> On 05/15/2015 02:46 PM, Sachin Srivastava wrote:
>> How can I fast my daily pg_dump backup. Can I use parallel option(Which is
>> introduced in Postgres 9.3) with Postgres 9.1. There is any way I can use
>> this is for 9.1 database.
>>

> IMHO, if has been introduced in 9.3, it is not in 9.1, unless you find some
> official backport.

To be more precise, pg_dump supports dump from servers down to 7.0, so
you can do it:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/app-pgdump.html
Now the output may not be compatible with a 9.1 server and may need
manual editing. Also, be careful that 9.1 servers do not support
synchronized snapshots for parallel jobs, hence you may finish with an
inconsistent dump if your server has write activity during the dump.

Btw, if you are running on 9.1.2, update to 9.1.15. You are missing 3
years worth of many bug fixes, some of them being critical.
--
Michael