Re: New wal format distorts pg_xlogdump --stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: New wal format distorts pg_xlogdump --stats
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2014-12-04 16:26:02 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Yeah, that's broken.
>
> I propose the attached. Or does anyone want to argue for adding an
> XLogRecGetFPILen() accessor macro for the hole_length in xlogreader.h. It's
> not something a redo routine would need, nor most XLOG-reading applications,
> so I thought it's better to just have pg_xlogdump peek into the
> DecodedBkpBlock struct directly.

I think both would be justifyable, so I don't really care for now. One
slight reason for wrapping it in xlogreader.h is that we might add
compression of some form or another soon and it'd possibly be better to
have it in xlogreader.h so pg_xlogdump doesn't have to be changed. But
that's really rather minor.

If we go this road and want to be complete, you may as well add access macros for the image offset, the block image and for the block data stuff. That would be handy and consistent with the rest, now both approaches are fine as long as DecodedBkpBlock is in xlogreader.h.
Regards,
--
Michael