Re: Allow replication roles to use file access functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Allow replication roles to use file access functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> On 2015-09-02 19:48:15 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Just on general principles, this seems like a pretty horrid idea.
>> To me replication privilege means the ability to transfer data out of
>> the master, not to cause arbitrary state changes on the master.
>
> It's not about the permission to trigger pg_rewind on the master - it's
> about being able to run pg_rewind (as the necessary OS user) on the
> *standby* when the connection to the primary has only replication rather
> than superuser privs.

Yeah, I got poked by this limitation of pg_rewind some time ago
internally actually, folks willing to be able to manage their cluster
only with a replication role, and they were not really willing to have
a superuser for such operations being used across the network.
--
Michael