Re: Replication with 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Replication with 9.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 8:09 PM, Madovsky <infos@madovsky.org> wrote:
> I would like to fix a issue I'm facing of with the version 9.4 streaming
> replication.
> is it possible to set on the fly the synchronous commit on the master (or
> standby?)
> which only sync commit the hot standby node used by the client who has a
> read only sql session on?

By referring to the docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/warm-standby.html#SYNCHRONOUS-REPLICATION
Synchronous replication gives the insurance that a transaction has
been flushed to the disk of the standby which is in sync, aka the one
with the lowest priority depending on the nodes currently connected.
This does not ensure that the transaction has been *replayed* on the
standby. You are sure that the transaction data is available. Hence if
you wish to know that a transaction in a standby is running a
transaction with enough data replayed, you should make the WAL
position of the master necessary for the transaction of the standby
something that your application is aware of.
--
Michael