Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Extending MSVC scripts to support --with-extra-version
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Asif Naeem <anaeem.it@gmail.com> wrote:
I have spent some time reviewing the code. It applies well and PG master branch build fine with setting extraver or keep it undefined.
Thanks for reviewing that.

I have observed the following output applying the patch i.e.
It seems that extraver information only appears when version function is being used. If we use -V (--version)  with pg utilities/binaries, it does not include additional provided information.
You are right. The first version of this patch updates PG_VERSION_STR but not PG_VERSION, which is the string used for all the binaries to report the version.

Can you please guide how can I perform similar functionality via configure script (that can be used on Unix like OS/MinGW) or It is intended for Window specific requirement ?. Thanks.
Sure, you can do the equivalent with plain configure like that:
./configure --with-extra-version="-foo" --prefix=/to/path/
And here is the output that I get with such options on OSX for example:
$ psql -c 'select substring(version(), 1, 52)'
                      substring
 PostgreSQL 9.5devel-foo on x86_64-apple-darwin13.2.0
(1 row)
$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel-foo

With the new patch attached, the following output is generated for an MSVC build:
$ psql -c 'select version()'
                              version
 PostgreSQL 9.5devel-foo, compiled by Visual C++ build 1600, 64-bit
(1 row)
$ initdb --version
initdb (PostgreSQL) 9.5devel-foo

Regards,