Re: Schedule for 9.5alpha1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Schedule for 9.5alpha1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 3:25 PM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:
>> It is nearly obvious problem, and bugfix patch already exists.
>
> My current strategy is to post these items on the "PostgreSQL 9.5 Open
> Items" page, even when the issue is totally trivial -- maybe that
> makes a small difference, even if it sometimes feels inappropriate for
> small items.

This is the right approach to me, this page being dedicated to that.
And I am doing the same when I spot something.

> I'm tired of having to chase down known bugs when a patch has been
> around for a long time, and an actual fix is blocking on committer
> availability -- sometimes I feel the need to privately twist someone's
> arm just to get something done that should be straightforward.

Patience is the key here IMO, committer time being precious. And I
guess that the requirement for the .0 release will be to clear all
those items btw, so they will be fixed at some point.

> If this is the way things are supposed to work, we should document known bugs
> in the alpha release notes.

Perhaps. Being able to track them in the code tree does not sound like
a bad thing to me.
--
Michael