Re: WAL format and API changes (9.5) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: WAL format and API changes (9.5)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
On 10/06/2014 04:42 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>
wrote:
So I now have a refactoring patch ready that I'd like to commit (the
attached two patches together), but to be honest, I have no idea why the
second patch is so essential to performance.
Thanks. I did some more tests with master, master+patch1, master+patch1+CRC
refactoring, but I am not able to see any performance difference with
pgbench (--no-vacuum, -t) and the test suite you provided, just some noise
that barely changed performance.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm really going crazy with benchmarking this. Sometimes I see a big difference, the next day it's gone.
The benchmark paradigms.

* Fixed XLogSaveBufferForHint. It didn't initialize BkpBlock struct, rendering it completely broken.
Note for other reviewers: that's represented by this addition in XLogSaveBufferForHint:
+               /* Make a BkpBlock struct representing the buffer */
+               XLogFillBkpBlock(buffer, buffer_std, &bkpb)

Regards,
--
Michael