Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 5:58 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2015 at 7:38 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> It seems that these days 'make check' creates a directory in /tmp
> called /tmp/pg_regress-RANDOMSTUFF.  Listening on TCP ports is
> disabled, and the socket goes inside this directory with a name like
> .s.PGSQL.PORT.  You can connect with psql -h
> /tmp/pg_regress-RANDOMSTUFF -p PORT, but not over TCP.  This basically
> removes the risk of TCP port number collisions, as well as the risk of
> your temporary instance being hijacked by a malicious user on the same
> machine.

Right, that's for example /var/folders/ on OSX, and this is defined
once per test run via $tempdir_short. PGHOST is set to that as well.

> I'm not sure what we do on Windows, though.

sspi with include_realm through 127.0.0.1.

>>> In particular, I was shutting down an archiving node and the archiving
>>> was truncated. I *think* smart doesn't do this. But again, it's really
>>> that the test writer can't easily override, not that the default is wrong.
>>
>> Ah, OK. Then fast is just fine. It shuts down the node correctly.
>> "smart" would wait for all the current connections to finish but I am
>> wondering if it currently matters here: I don't see yet a clear use
>> case yet where it would make sense to have multi-threaded script... If
>> somebody comes back with a clear idea here perhaps we could revisit
>> that but it does not seem worth it now.
>
> I don't have anything brilliant to say about this point, but here's a
> perhaps-not-brilliant comment:
>
> If there's a bug in one of smart and fast shutdown and the other works
> great, it would be nice to catch that.

Yes, sure. I extended the patch to support other stop modes than fast,
the default being kept to fast if none is defined.
--
Michael