Re: [DOCS] pg_xlogdump -p option correction - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: [DOCS] pg_xlogdump -p option correction
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

>> > Uh, I think it does in the first sentence:
>> >
>> >         Directory in which to find log segment files.
>>
>> I am reading that as "only the current directory", not "the current
>> directory, then current directory + pg_wal". Do you think that this
>> sentence implies that the check routine looks as well at
>> current_dir/pg_wal?
>>
>> > Updated patch attached.
>>
>> +        subdirectory of both the current directory and the
>> +        <envar>PGDATA</envar> directory.
>> This could say "of both the current directory and *then* the PGDATA
>> directory" to outline the order of the actions taken by the check
>> routine. Just my 2c on the matter.
>
> Ah, I see your point.  I ended up rewording the text to be more explicit
> about the supplied argument and "searching".  Updated patch attached.

-        Directory in which to find log segment files.  The default is to search
-        for them in the <literal>pg_wal</literal> subdirectory of the current
-        directory.
+        Specifies a directory in which to find log segment files.
+        In addition, searches are performed in the current directory,
+        and the <literal>pg_wal</literal> subdirectory of both the current
+        directory and the <envar>PGDATA</envar> directory.
Hm. This still misses the point that the lookup at PGDATA is done only
if no directory is defined. What do you think about the patch attached
that lists the five possible patterns: 2 for the case where a
directory is defined, and 3 for the default case.
--
Michael

Attachment