Re: Long options for pg_ctl waiting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Long options for pg_ctl waiting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 8:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Vik Fearing <vik@2ndquadrant.fr> writes:
>> On 09/08/2016 01:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> I'm pretty much -1 on printing a warning.  There's no ambiguity, and no
>>> real reason for us ever to remove the old spellings.  Standardizing on
>>> "no-" going forward makes sense, but let's not slap people's wrists for
>>> existing usage.  (Or: if it ain't broke, don't break it.)
>
>> One could also argue that 2 out of 53 "no" options omitting the dash is
>> in fact broken, and a real reason to remove them.
>
> I do not buy that.  As a counter argument, consider that removing them
> would make it impossible to write a script that works with both old
> and new versions of PG.  That's a mighty high price to pay for what
> is little more than pedantry.

Perhaps discussing that on another thread would be better, and I was
the one who began this thing... So I'll do it.

Vik's stuff is just to add a --no-wait and --wait long option alias on
pg_ctl. And that clearly improves the readability for users, so that's
a +1 from here. And let's just use the v1 presented at the beginning
of this thread. I agree with the feeling that standardizing things
would be better btw for such option names.
--
Michael