Re: Materialized views and unique indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Paquier
Subject Re: Materialized views and unique indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Also, as it is not mandatory for a unique index to be a constraint, I
>> think that we should block the creation of unique indexes too to avoid
>> any problems. Any suggestions?

> How much does the planner benefit from the implied constraint of a
> unique index? I almost wonder if it should be allowed at the cost of
> making the refresh of a matview that fails to comply an error.

A unique constraint can allow join elimination, so I'm thinking that
disallowing them is a bad idea (not to mention that it'd be a
considerable wart in the code to block them for matviews only).
Fair argument.

The error message at refresh step should be more explicit though. I still have the feeling that users might be lost if a constraint introduced on matviews is failing during refresh with the current error message.
--
Michael